Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Spring is in the Air!

It has been such a LOOOOONG winter here in Winnipeg, we are quite ready for it to be Spring. 2009 has already been very busy and exciting for us - we're ready to kick into high gear!

Christopher continues to enjoy his work at Sturgeon Heights school. During Spring Break, they rolled out 100+ new computers, which had to be custom formatted for each user. When the students and teachers are away, that's when the IT department plays. This summer will be extra busy, as they upgrade all the division Mac computers to the new version of Mac O/S.

After leaving Starbucks, and spending a few weeks temping at the Health Sciences Centre, I spent most of February filling in for a chiropractor in Lorette, Dr. Rosalie Pelissier. She founded and manages the practice for herself and two other chiropractors, Ann and Angele. I took care of patients and learned a new style of Activator practice while she vacationed in sunny Florida and Mexico. It was such a rewarding experience, only one week of working there cemented my decision to become a more permanent member of the practice.

Dr. Angele had been running two practices - the one in Lorette with Dr. Rosalie, and one in the city that was formerly her husband's practice. She decided the toll of her busy schedule on her family, patients, and business was too much, and so I have taken over her practice in Lorette. I was very fortunate to obtain funding quite easily from the Bank of Montreal, which also funded my education. They have been really wonderful to deal with.

After all the lawyering was complete, I officially joined the practice on April 1, 2009. I am an independent operator within the clinic, but Rosalie manages most of the business details for us, which makes things much less complicated for me. I work four days a week, Monday and Fridays 8:00 - 12:30, and Tuesdays and Thursdays 2:30 - 8:00. I have Wednesdays off, for now. I've worked four days so far, and my schedule is steadily building up. I'm learning a tonne, and feel very comfortable in my new home.

Underlying all these exciting developments, even more life-changing events have transpired :) Christopher and I are very pleased to announce we are expecting our first baby on October 20, 2009. We took a positive pregnancy test on Valentine's Day, which made for a very exciting Family Day (Louis Riel Day) long weekend. I have since spent eight weeks (and counting...) feeling constantly nauseated :( Hopefully that will stop soon. We have met with a midwife team, and are looking forward to a natural birth at home. We will keep you updated!

Have a wonderful Easter!
-Jo

2 comments:

The Best's said...

I will be honest I thought this blog had died...So happy for a update! Also so happy things are going so great for you both!

Abby said...

Oooo Im so proud of you for doing a home birth with a midwife!! It is an amazing experience. Just FYI, I spent a lot of my labor (last Nov) walking in my backyard, leaning on my husband, and I think I took probably 8 showers total to get thru the contractions. Make sure Chris (and yourself obviously!) are pleanty rested and well fed, you both will need it! Im so excited for you two! <3